Career change

Yesterday I read an essay about being a book publicist. 

"I think I've missed my calling," I said to my husband. 
"What's a book publicist do?" he said.
"They make up exciting boxes to send out to publicise a book, with little packages of..."
"Sausages?" he said. 
"Not usually."

"So I was thinking about what a book publicity pack for Knowledge in English would look like. The best thing I came up with was - "
"Scrabble tiles."

Ooh, a little personalised nameplate made of scrabble tiles. 




The best thing I had actually come up with was a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer. 

"Why?!" he asked. (This is a man who has proofread and therefore in theory read the book.)
"They get a name check in the last chapter."

After that I was basically into copies of other people's books, which seems to defeat the point, and a little wind up Shakespeare like the one we got from the NATE conference about 10 years ago. 

So maybe I'm not cut out for a change in career. But I do like the idea of a world in which Heads of English get little packages of presents to publicise books that will be of interest to their teachers. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Applying for a PGCE in the UK? Read these

Lit in Colour research